Friday, December 30, 2011

Character (and quality). Of a man and his work.

My friend had a picture posted on her Facebook today.  In the picture was a hand, holding what appeared to be a small bunny.  Around the hand/ bunny was printed, "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him," attributed to James D. Miles.

This post struck a nerve with me on several levels.

1) Singer's Christmas fence was a total disaster.  I was very sad this morning when I saw the whole thing in daylight.  I cried.  I hope the company, so far unnamed, will do the right thing and fix the problems promptly.

2) The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was Lenny.

3) I've been a little slow on the uptake lately, so I had to break this third one down.  Pets, even the most annoying ones, do something for you.  That's what makes them lovable, cherished members of the family.  When they stop doing anything for you, they're just burdens.  I guess that goes for everything in life.  Sometimes things are unpleasant and feel like burdens, and it is how we deal with them that shows our true nature.

When I first started fostering Bo, she was a terror.  Many people advised me to have her put down.  She was expensive, time consuming and unpredictable.   However blindly, I never stopped caring about her, even when I was bedridden and on painkillers because of her.  I'm not quite sure what she provided me, but I never felt like she had nothing to give.  She was troubled, confused and defensive, but full of life, and certainly deserving of love.  But what would it have taken for her to become an unqualified burden?  Would I have walked away?

No comments:

Post a Comment