Sunday, April 22, 2012

Puppy Hauler

$5,000 ouchie.
As most of you know, I got into a little car accident at the end of March.  I was turning left into my driveway when the car behind me managed to hit Zippy on the driver's side front wheel and bumper, drive across my front lawn, and stop her car a few houses up from mine.  That's right, the LEFT side.  The cop who showed up to take the police report was a bit incredulous too.  Save some neck pain the next day, I was fine.  BoBo and Singer appear to be fine too.

In any event, I thought this would be a quick fix, until I started to drive to my evening obligation.  That's when I realized driving the car felt like operating a Whirlyball car.  Not good!  Well, after the other driver's insurance company threatened to total my car, I ended up in a rental Hyundai Santa Fe.  I thumbed my nose at the giant, gas guzzling SUV until I started getting used to the power windows, keyless entry, power locks, hatchback door.... The White Lightning was awesome!  Of course, he also drove like a swaying boat, cost me over $150 in gas over the course of 3 weeks, and required skillful maneuvering in the parking garage.  But I'd been seduced.  My next car may likely be a 5 door Hyundai Accent.  138 horsepower, 5 year roadside assistance, 100,000 mi warranty... ahh what luxury!

I finally got Zippy back last week.  He has a brand new headlight, suspension, front bumper, and some other shiny things.  While all the bells and whistles were nice and convenient, I think I'll be keeping Zippy for a while longer.  He's been trouble free since the start, and has a good 5-7 years left in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment