Friday, January 6, 2012

Gratitude

Before the holidays, I sent a heartfelt thank you ACO Elease, who introduced me to Singer. She truly is my modern-day hero. Yesterday, I received this wonderful email from her:

Stories like yours help make our job a pleasure! I am very glad to know that Singer is a wonderful addition to your family and that you are VERY HAPPY to have her in your life. My staff and I love to have the ability to do our own adoptions for that very reason- Happy Tails!

We no longer have the kennel that Singer came from. It makes me very sad because I know that my staff and I met with countless persons over the years that “Just wanted to look”. And by us being on site with the dogs we were able to unite those “Just looking” into being new pet owners! The town is working on another kennel site that would be located in the town of South Windsor and would house two other towns with ours. While Manchester may never have a kennel to call our “Own” it would be nice to have the ability to meet with persons that are “Just looking”! Our current kennel situation does not really offer us the ability to meet people at random.

We wish you a spectacular New Year with loads of fun and exciting adventures!!


It is indeed quite sad that budget cutbacks have eliminated many traditional shelters and pounds. Many dogs are housed in borrowed space or in foster homes that don't allow for 'chance' meetings like mine and Singer's. Heck, I'm a foster dog-mom myself, and I've often wondered if BoBo would have been adopted ages ago if she hadn't been contentedly slobbering on my couch.

But it is sobering to know that had I been looking for a dog one year later, I would never have met Singer and my life would not be what it is today. Thank you again, Officer Elease.

No comments:

Post a Comment