Thursday, December 31, 2015

Peru Part IV: Thanksgiving in Lima

After three days in the country, it was time to return to Lima to explore what some call Peru's "ugly" city.  The drive from the airport to our Airbnb in the lovely Miraflores neighborhood was quite nice, and reminded me a bit of Chicago.   Seeing beaches at the edge of a city always throws me for a loop though.

While Lima may have the (undeserved) title of being an ugly city, it is home to many of the best restaurants in South America.  J succeeded in convincing/ coercing/ guilting me into parting with some dough to accompany him to a few, so our time in Lima was somewhat dictated by our restaurant reservations to Central and Astrid y Gaston.

Between reservations, we managed to squeeze in some sight seeing in our Miraflores neighborhood, neighboring Barranco, and the historical downtown.

Thanksgiving morning yoga at Lima Yoga.
Yoga in Spanish was challenging.
After my yoga sesh (yeah, I said sesh), we walked down to Hijo de Oyala for some outstanding ceviche.  Hijo's not fancy, but one of the hottest ceviche joints in Lima at the moment, and I was eager to compare it to J's fancy schmancy La Mar.

Unassuming and unmatched.


Breakfast of champions: ceviche de pescado y pulpo.

A stroll between meals.
We then headed to the wonderfully decorated Astrid y Gaston for lunch.  J got pooped on after lunch, which was revolting and hilarious at once.   The rest of Thursday afternoon was spent wandering, then waiting for J to process his photos.  He was on his third week of travel, but I was still ready to go.  I was not a happy camper, but J made it up to me with a Thanksgiving guinea pig outing to Panchita.
Something something food salty.  Astrid y Gaston.

Anticuchos and cuy at Panchita.
One of the best Thanksgiving meals ever.

With a Thanksgiving pisco sour, of course.
Friday was spent exploring the artsy-bohemian neighborhood of Barranco, and eating at La Mar and Central.
So many strays.   :(

Chocomuseo
Huaca Pucllana, pre-Incan ruins preserved in the middle of Lima.
This society developed between 200 A.D. to 700 A.D.

Trumpet flower hat.  Not pictured: the car that stopped
 when they saw what I was trying to do, despite my
embarrassed protestations.
(Or who stopped to laugh at the silly tourist.)

Tiradito at La Mar.
Black conch ceviche.
I could have ordered three of these.
Ceviche mixto.

Art.

Museo de la Electricidad.  Looks like my old stove.

No pictures of Central.  I didn't like it.  So there.




No comments:

Post a Comment