Sunday, May 3, 2015

Springtime gardening

Tall scallions survived the winter.
The shorter ones are from this year.

I'm trying my hand at a garden at the new house again.  Last year, I had very limited success with "big box store" tomatoes and basil in a container garden, and one of my grandmother's tomato seedlings planted in the old hosta patch.  I also threw some scallions in for good measure.

This year, I'm trying again but working from seeds.  A few weeks ago, I germinated some beets, carrots and mint, and promptly let them dry out and die.  I also threw in some scallion bottoms for good measure.  
Tomatoes and basil.
Taking advantage of the good weather this weekend, I bought a few tomato and basil plants from Whole Foods and set out to plant whatever beet, scallion and carrot seedlings I could salvage. I also planted a few okra and jalapeno seeds.  Fingers crossed!

Carrots. Where?  Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment