Tuesday, October 15, 2013

San Francisco!

Morning in Golden Gate Park,
standing next to the human tower.
The last time I was in San Francisco, incidentally, was two years ago, during a 7 hour layover en route to Australia for my cousin's wedding.  It was also on my birthday, so I used the layover to take a trip out to Burlingame to cash in on a free birthday race at GoKart Racer, an indoor track a few miles outside of SF.  Afterwards, my mom and I ventured back into SF to visit Chinatown.  Sadly, we didn't have enough time to for a meal.  Clash of priorities, I know.

This trip to SF afforded me a few more hours, but was unfortunately much later in the day.  Keith and I planned on my arrival in SF around 8 pm, which would give us just enough time to visit PPQ (famous for their Dungeness crabs), and a bar or two before turning in.  In the morning, we planned on exploring Golden Gate Park (near his apartment) before I headed to the airport.

Alcatraz at night, maybe?
Well, as anything time sensitive usually goes, my flight out of EWR was delayed.  Sort of.  After we all settled into our seats and readied ourselves for takeoff, we were abruptly informed that our flight would be delayed by two hours and to deplane immediately.  Wind, sails, gone.  Yeah.  We all slogged off of our plane and prepared for two hours of thumb twiddling at the gate.  I called my parents with the sad news and messaged Keith to let him know that I'd be late.  Too late for dinner and pretty much anything else.  Not two minutes after I hit send on my message to Keith, a flight attendant informed us that the flight would be departing in half and hour and to replane immediately.  Yesss!

Con azucar!
I met the awesomest couple (Sally and David), owners of a camp in Freeport, ME (http://www.maineidyll.com) and we chatted away during the flight.  I was sad to say goodbye when we landed, but happy to get to SF, albeit about two hours later than expected.

 I am so very grateful for old friends and so happy to have been able to see my world-travelling friend.

But Keith!  Taller than I remembered, but same old Keith. :)  Since it was too late to get to PPQ, we stopped by an all-night burrito place for authentic Mission burritos and Mexican Coke.  (Real sugar.)

Birds tolerating my attempt at being artsy.
Afterwards, we cabbed back to Keith's place and headed out to a local bar called the Blackthorne and caught up on 13 years of stories.  The next day, we hit Golden Gate Park, which was a few blocks from Keith's place.  Science center, bike trails, birds and tai chi grannies all in one place!  Our morning of exploring ended way too soon.

However, before we had to head to the airport, I was able to experience everything that is a PSL.  Yes, grab your Uggs, I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte... and I did not like it.  So sad.










No comments:

Post a Comment