Thursday, July 5, 2012

What would [your dog] do in a dangerous situation?

Afraid for my safety for the first time in a very long time, I wondered what Singer would do in an actual emergency.  (Not an emergency involving a lack of thumbs and a screw top container, but a real one...)

I was walking with Singer in a familiar neighborhood when a minivan stopped beside me.  I thought she was going to ask me for directions.  Instead, the woman asked through her passenger's side window, "Do you know that man?"  "What man?" I asked.  "The man in the white car.  He's been following you."  I think I stammered "What?"a few times, before I recalled that as I was turning a corner a few minutes earlier walking towards three teenagers, I'd heard someone yell something like "Narrr."  I assumed it was someone saying something to the three boys, but thinking back, maybe the man in the white car had started following me at that point.  In any event, I again asked the woman which car she was talking about, and she pointed towards a white car that had just gone through the stop sign.  

I speed walked back towards the house keeping an eye out for the car, hoping to get home before he came back.  Along the way, I ran into a man working on his car in the driveway.  He must have seen how terrified I looked, because he immediately asked me what was wrong, and I told him about the car and the man.  He told me he had girls too, and kept an eye out as I ran home.  I am thankful for that watchful woman, and the kindly man and perhaps a little more suspicious about the world in general.

But what if the worst had happened?  What if the man had come back around, or stopped his car?  Would Singer have protected me?  I'd like to think so, but I also know that if Singer had ever been in harm's way, I would (perhaps stupidly and ineffectively) have protected her in any way I could.

4 comments:

  1. I had a very similar situation happen once a few years ago while out on a run. There was a guy who apparently liked what he saw and circled the block so he just drive slowly next to me and then tell me to go F*&% myself when I didn't respond to any of his obnoxious comments before squealing his tires as he drove away. I didnt run that route ever again. It's scary, and its not a feeling that anyone should have to feel.

    Sometimes I wish that men could feel how awful a feeling it is. Then again, if men had half of the inconveniences of being female, there'd probably be free birth control and drive through abortions free with a car wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad that this is basically a universal experience. Frankly, I thought my advanced age precluded these sorts of things.

      Delete
  2. It pains me to read this since I was once in this situation too when I was about 13. Walking towards each other, this guy with his pants open and I passed each other on a residential street a block from my house, I looked over my shoulder, and he had turned around to follow me. He unfortunately caught up to me, followed me, was talking to me, and asking me to look at his schlong. Not cool. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind not to go home, and instead went a couple extra torturous blocks towards the grocery store. I ran only when he reached out to touch me and was driven home by a family friend who I ran into in the store. It is definitely a really scary experience. I don't know how having a dog with you would impact predators' decisions to attack their victims, but you'd imagine it'd make you a less likely target, no?

    I will say that, while dating my hubs, I once accidentally kicked him in the head while lounging on the bed. Simone the cat started growling (yes!) at me! She also once scared the crap out of and chased off a cat twice her size who entered the old apt (unbeknownst to Simone, this cat lived downstairs and had previously been accustomed to wandering into the apts on all 3 floors of the house :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attack cats to the rescue! Maybe I need to bring Simone with me from now on.

      Delete