Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Green thumb updates

This year, I tried to grow tomatoes, eggplant, scallions, basil, broccoli, beets, mustard greens, tat choi, sugar snap peas, snow peas, cilantro, and peppers.  After a promising start, my eggplant and basil died.  My broccoli went to flower, and my tat choi never sprouted.  Both varieties of peas germinated, then died.  I should probably make a little chart... But then I'd have to add a "suddenly came back to life" column.


Plant
Purposely planted
Germinated/ successfully transplanted
Died
Came back to life
Current status
Basil
x
x
x
x
Edible
Beets
x
x


Ready to harvest in 14 days
Broccoli
x
x


Woody: not edible
Cilantro
x
x
x

Dust in the wind
Eggplant
x
x
x
x
Flowering?
Mustard greens

x


Flourishing
Peppers
x
x
x
x
Pepper on the vine
Scallions
x
x


Prolific
Snow peas
x

x
x
One pod!
Sugar snap peas
x

x
x
Flowering
Tat choi
x



Never saw the light of day
Tomatoes
x
x


Cornucopia of green orbs


I'm not sure which plant wins the award this year, but the scallions have been quite prolific, and the tiny flowering peas are quite cute.  The eggplant is doing something weird, and is a little alien-like.  I'm keeping my eyes on that one lest it reach out and touch me while I'm sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment